[Bioc-sig-seq] edgeR Warning Messages from maximizeInterpolant called from estimateGLMTagwiseDisp

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jul 22 01:29:42 CEST 2011

Dear Sean,

The fact that you get a warning message does not mean that the function
hasn't worked satisfactorily.  It is mainly to alert you to an unusual
situation.  The warnings affect only 15 tags out of thousands, so are
unlikely to have any influence on your results.

The main issue is that there is no biological dispersion in your data.
My guess is that you have computed offsets in such as way that they soak
up all the biological variation in your data, and there is no
Poisson-overdispersion left to estimate.  Your data could even now be
underdispersed relative to Poisson, once the offsets are accounted for.
This suggests to me that your offsets are over-fitted in some sense, and
that statistical analysis using these offsets might not be meaningful.

Have you tried a more standard analysis of your data, using the built-in
normalization procedures in edgeR?

Best wishes
Gordon