[Bioc-sig-seq] GRangesList with duplicate names

Pages, Herve hpages at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 25 20:50:04 CET 2011

Hi,

An important use case for GRangesList is the storage of a list
of genomic features grouped by their appartenance to a parent
feature (actually this was the original motivation for implementing
the GRangesList class).

Annotations are not perfect:

  > library(GenomicFeatures)
  > txdb <- makeTranscriptDbFromUCSC(tablename="refGene")
  > tx <- transcripts(txdb, columns="tx_name")
  > any(duplicated(values(tx)$tx_name))
  [1] TRUE

Here the transcript names are not unique:

  > any(duplicated(values(tx)$tx_name))
  [1] TRUE

Here tx_name is just a column in the values slot of the GRanges object.
Duplicates are of course perfectly ok here.

However, the following code generates a GRangesList object with
duplicated names:

  > ex <- exonsBy(txdb, "tx", use.names=TRUE)
  Warning message:
  In .set.group.names(ans, use.names, txdb, by) :
    some group names are NAs or duplicated
  > any(duplicated(names(ex)))
  [1] TRUE

Note the warning.

By default (i.e. without specifying use.names=TRUE), the internal ids
of the transcripts (tx_id col, guaranteed to be unique) would have been
put on the object here instead of the tx names. It's worth remembering
that the original version of exonsBy() was always using those internal
ids but, a few months ago, the 'use.names' arg was added because some
users found it useful. See this thread:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-sig-sequencing/2010-August/001387.html

Should we revisit this?

Also, by not allowing duplicated names, some basic operations like
combining 2 GRangesList objects with clashing names won't work anymore:

  > x <- GRangesList(a=GRanges(), b=GRanges())
  > names(c(x, x))
  [1] "a" "b" "a" "b"

Or, if one of the 2 objects has no names:

  > y <- GRangesList(GRanges(), GRanges())
  > names(c(x, y))
  [1] "a" "b" ""  ""

Or if my index 'i' contains duplicated values:

  > i <- c(2, 1, 2)
  > x[i]  # will have duplicated names

etc...

(Note that validObject would fail on all those objects I just made.)

I guess names are not required to be unique on ordinary lists
for those reasons too. Environments do require names to be unique
and can use a hash table internally for fast name lookup. Those 2
features make them the equivalent of dictionaries in Python.

Disclaimer: I've never been a fan of the fact that the names of
an ordinary list or vector in R can have duplicates. I've just
learned to live with it. A really bad consequence of this feature
is that subsetting 'x' by a non-unique name only returns the first
element with that name:

  > x <- c(a=2, b=3, a=4)
  > x[names(x)]
  a b a
  2 3 2

Without even a warning!

For GRangesList objects, and more generally, for (almost) all the
List (L uppercase) subclasses defined in IRanges and GenomicRanges,
duplicated names are currently ok. And we don't issue a warning either
when subsetting by a non-unique name (we were just following what
ordinary lists do) but we could (and maybe we should).

Cheers,
H.