[Bioc-sig-seq] trimLRPatterns question

Harris A. Jaffee hj at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 23 07:22:25 CET 2011

You hint that your trimLen is > 50, yet when you show your
max.Rmismatch, it's clearly of length 47, composed
of rep(1,12) and rep(2,N) with N=trimLen-15.  So N=35 and
trimLen=50.  A max.Rmismatch of length 47 (= 50-3)
will be augmented by rep(-1,3) at the bottom, preventing any matches
of an adapter prefix of length 3 or less
with a read suffix.  This is an effect that you want, but to allow
more mismatch tolerance for longer adapter
prefixes, against read suffixes, your max.Rmismatch vector must be
monotone increasing, even if not strictly,
rather than decreasing.  So your max.Rmismatch is at least reversed.
Its max (last value) might also be > 2.
Perhaps like this:

 > ceiling(1:47 * 1/12)
  [1] 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
3 3 3 3 4 4
[39] 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

This will be better than any max.Rmismatch=e, with e in (0,1).

-Harris