[Bioc-sig-seq] microarray to RNA-Seq

Alper Yilmaz alperyilmaz at gmail.com
Sun May 2 17:28:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

There's very nice tutorial about using Bioconductor to calculate
clusters (of genes) with different algoritms using microarray data.

I would like to use the similar approach to calculate gene clusters
using RNA-Seq data. My question is, would it be okay to take the ratio
of RPMK values of Exp1 and Exp2 and use the natural log of that ratio
as if it's microarray data?

Let's say Exp1 is control and Exp2 is treatment. I have RPMK value for
each gene for both samples. Then, ratio of Exp2(RPMK) over Exp1(RPMK)
is calculated and then natural log of that ratio is calculated. And
from here on, use the tutorial to calculate gene clusters.

If log( Exp1-rpmk / Exp2-rpmk) is not a valid approach, what should I
do instead, so that I can use invaluable bioconductor tools that are
designed for microarray data mining, for RNA-Seq analysis?

Regards,

Alper Yilmaz
Post-doctoral Researcher
Plant Biotechnology Center