[Bioc-sig-seq] Accessing range values from Rle object

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Mon Jun 21 19:52:45 CEST 2010

P. Terry,
When in doubt, first consult the manual pages. In particular

help("RleViewsList-class")
help(viewMaxs)

For example purposes, let's use the RleList object

 > x <- RleList(a = c(0:10, 10L, 0:10), b = c(10:0, 10L, 10:0))
 > islands <- slice(x, 1)

If you want the locations of the islands, use

 > as(islands, "IRangesList")
CompressedIRangesList of length 2
$a
IRanges of length 2
     start end width
[1]     2  12    11
[2]    14  23    10

$b
IRanges of length 2
     start end width
[1]     1  10    10
[2]    12  22    11

If you want the locations of the maximums within each range, use

 > viewRangeMaxs(islands)
SimpleIRangesList of length 2
$a
IRanges of length 2