[Bioc-sig-seq] unique reads count

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Jan 27 22:06:55 CET 2010

Hi Joseph --

On 01/27/2010 12:33 PM, joseph wrote:
> Hello
> I have a ShortReadQ object:
>> rfq
> class: ShortReadQ
> length: 16115723 reads; width: 34 cycles
>
> I used the negation of the result from srduplicated to count the unique reads:
>> sum(!srduplicated(sread(rfq)))
> [1] 4545719
>
> But also I looked at the frequency with which each read occurs using the tables function:
>> head(tables(rfq_s_3_mel)$distribution)
>   nOccurrences  nReads
> 1            1 4022038
> 2            2  255649

srduplicated is behaving like 'duplicated', which is to return TRUE when
an element has already been seen

> duplicated(c("A", "B", "B", "C"))
[1] FALSE FALSE  TRUE FALSE

There's one duplicate, the second 'B'.

After example(srduplicated) I have

> tables(sread(rfq))$distribution
  nOccurrences nReads
1            1    239
2            2      7
3            3      1
> sum(srduplicated(sread(rfq)))
[1] 9

there are 7 reads that are the second of two reads, and 2 reads that are
the second and third of three reads.

Martin