[Bioc-sig-seq] Update only specific spaces of RangedData

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Wed Sep 30 08:16:02 CEST 2009

Christian,
I finished a round of changes to the subscript replacement operators in
IRanges, which will be available on bioconductor.org in BioC 2.5 after
the Wednesday builds have been pushed, and I should be able to meet your
needs. Just to be sure, can you provide a larger context what what
operation you are trying to perform? Some questions I have are:

1) What is the class and content of the replacement value?
2) How many columns in the RangedData values table are you looking to
replace?
3) What determines which rows within each of the spaces you are looking
to replace?

If you provide me with this information, I can let you know what the
most efficient way you can perform the replacement. Some example subset
replacement operations in place are:

values(x)[[i]][[j]] <- value # replace the jth column in the ith space
with value
values(x)[[i]][k,j] <- value # replace the (k,j) selection in the ith
space with value
values(x)[,j] <- value # replace columns denoted by j across all the
spaces with value
values(x)[i,j] <- value # using LogicalList, IntegerList, or RangesList
i, replace the selected rows within each of the spaces for columns
denoted by j with value

What I'm not sure of at this point is how flexible I should allow the
replacement value to be. Your feedback would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Patrick