[Bioc-sig-seq] IRanges::overlap interface, help writing idiomatic code?

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 11 18:51:48 CEST 2009

Steve,
I have revised your code to simplify it a bit. I added example data as
well to make it easier for others to run it. The shift and width
arguments to coverage are discussed in the coverage man page. If you are
unsure what the sift argument will do to a set of ranges, you can run
the shift operation on them (e.g. shift(bounds, shift = - start(bounds)
+ 1)).

==== Revised code ====

suppressMessages(library(IRanges))

sample.reads <- IRanges(start = c(11869, 11882, 12245, 12554, 12555,
12557), width = 32)
bounds <- IRanges(start=11700, end=12550)

# Get the the reads from my sample.reads
# object that lie within my gene bounds
gene.reads <- sample.reads[bounds]

# Build my coverage Rle vector
cov <- coverage(gene.reads, shift = - start(bounds) + 1, width =
width(bounds))

# Create the non-Rle coverage vector that I will use down stream
# to make a GenomeGraph::BaseTrack object
counts <- as.numeric(cov)

# Build the base-position vector and filter out positions
# with 0 counts from both vectors
keep <- counts != 0

# This is (i) from above
bases <- as.integer(bounds)[keep]

# This is (ii) from above
counts <- counts[keep]

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-09-07 r49613)
i386-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] IRanges_1.3.72

[1] tools_2.10.0