[Bioc-sig-seq] Paired end reads -tools?

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Mon Oct 26 13:03:45 CET 2009

Hi Paul,

First to clarify, are you talking about paired-end (insert size of
around 200bp) or mate-pair (insert size of around 2-3kb) sequencing?

I've been doing some analysis of mate pair data in R (for a de-novo
assembly). The synopsis of what I've done is (I can elaborate if you
think what I've done is of interest for you):

1) load the aligned reads

2) filter them for N containing reads, reads aligned to non-ref
chromosome, etc

3) identify the uniquely mapped mate pair, i.e. each mate map only
once in the genome and has a single mate (computationally performed
using their ids)

4) convert the mate reads into intervals stored into a RangedData object

5) estimate the insert size distribution and further processing
(assembly in my case)

In your case, if you're using mate pairs (I hardly see how to do that
with "standard" paired reads), you could have a window sliding along
your chromosome and estimating whether the insert size in your cancer
sample is different from the one in the normal sample.

Best,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

High Throughput Functional Genomics Center

European Molecular Biology Laboratory

Tel: +49 6221 387 8426
Email: nicolas.delhomme at embl.de
Meyerhofstrasse 1 - Postfach 10.2209