[Bioc-sig-seq] Trouble loading development version of ShortRead on OS X

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 2 03:08:58 CEST 2009

Hi Mike --

Michael Muratet wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have been working on incorporating the new Illumina SCS v2.4 file
> structure into the ShortRead package. I downloaded and built the R-devel
> version 2.10.0 (2009-09-09 r49643) and then installed BioConductor from
> it. I have a version of ShortRead that I wanted to test, so I built in
> the tree I have locally (output at the end of this message). I started
> my dev. version of R and tried to load ShortRead and got:

> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>   unable to load shared library
> '/Users/mmuratet/Downloads/R-devel/library/ShortRead/libs/ShortRead.so':
>
> dlopen(/Users/mmuratet/Downloads/R-devel/library/ShortRead/libs/ShortRead.so,
> 6): Symbol not found: _cache_XStringSet
>   Referenced from:
> /Users/mmuratet/Downloads/R-devel/library/ShortRead/libs/ShortRead.so
>   Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'ShortRead'
>
> I suspect an issue with the Biostrings lib, and _cache_XStringSet is a
> symbol in Biostrings.so. Shouldn't this be loaded already?
>
> Can anyone suggest a place where I may have gone wrong?

Probably the problem is that your version of ShortRead and of the other
Bioconductor packages are not in sync. Probably what you want to do is
use the 'svn' version control system, and 'check out' the relevant
packages from the bioconductor code repository, and use the checked out
copies for installation instead of biocLite(). Then copy your changed
files into the repository and go from there. Very roughly

  cd some/directory
  svn co -N https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks
  cd Rpacks
  svn up IRanges Biostrings BSgenome ShortRead
  R CMD INSTALL --clean IRanges Biostrings BSgenome
  cp my/modified/ShortRead/R/AllClasses.R ShortRead/R/AllClasses
  R CMD INSTALL --clean ShortRead

Use

  svn add ShortRead/R/new-file.R

to add a file to svn's manifest of files that it is tracking.

  svn stat ShortRead

will show you which files are new / modified and

  svn diff ShortRead

will show you the changes. Finally,

  svn diff ShortRead > ShortRead.patch

will summarize the differences into a file that can be used by the
package maintainer to update ShortRead. You can periodically, from
within the Rpacks directory,

  svn up IRanges Biostrings BSgenome ShortRead
  R CMD INSTALL --clean IRanges Biostrings BSgenome ShortRead

to sync up with the latest versions in the repository. There are
additional instructions on the Bioconductor developer wiki, at

  http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/SvnHowTo

The instructions I gave in this email checks out the top-level 'Rpacks'
directory of the Bioconductor repository, and then specific packages in
the repository; this is not such a good idea if you're interested in a
long-term relationship with svn and Bioconductor, you'd probably want to
 check out the entire directory structure.

Martin

--
Martin Morgan
1100 Fairview Ave. N.