[Bioc-sig-seq] Low-complexity read filtering/trimming [PolyA removal]

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 12 18:49:22 CET 2009

Sumit,
The ShortRead package uses a convention where filters can be used to
weed out unwanted data. One of the filters is the polynFilter, which
filters out reads with excessive amounts of the selected nucleotides.
There is an unfortunate bug in polynFilter when only one nucleotide type
is chosen, but I just fixed it in the svn repository and it will be come
available on bioconductor.org in a day or so. Here is an example of
filtering out reads with 32 or more A's in them using the polynFilter
function (this operation filtered out 2 reads with the example data):

 > suppressMessages(library(ShortRead))
 > sp <- SolexaPath(system.file("extdata", package="ShortRead"))
 > aln <- readAligned(sp, "s_2_export.txt") # Solexa export file, as example
 > polyAFilt <- polynFilter(threshold = 32, nuc = "A")
 > aln
class: AlignedRead
length: 1000 reads; width: 35 cycles
chromosome: NM NM ... chr5.fa 29:255:255
position: NA NA ... 71805980 NA
strand: NA NA ... + NA
alignQuality: NumericQuality
alignData varLabels: run lane ... y filtering
 > aln[polyAFilt(aln)]
class: AlignedRead
length: 998 reads; width: 35 cycles
chromosome: NM NM ... chr5.fa 29:255:255
position: NA NA ... 71805980 NA
strand: NA NA ... + NA
alignQuality: NumericQuality
alignData varLabels: run lane ... y filtering
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-02-23 r47990)
i386-apple-darwin9.6.0

locale:
en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] ShortRead_1.1.44   lattice_0.17-20    BSgenome_1.11.11
Biostrings_2.11.39
[5] IRanges_1.1.47

[1] Biobase_2.3.10 grid_2.9.0     hwriter_1.1

Patrick