[Bioc-sig-seq] adapter removal

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Thu Jan 8 18:25:09 CET 2009

Dave,
Before you look for an external solution, I recommend you try the
vcountPattern function in Biostrings. In a training course back in Nov
08 we showed the efficiency of vcountPattern in finding adapter-like reads.

http://bioconductor.org/workshops/2008/SeattleNov08/MatchAlign/MatchAlign.pdf

see pages 7 - 10

As a first approximation, I would guess your code would look something like:

> adapter <- DNAString("ACGGATTGTTCAGT")
> prefix <- substring(myReads, 1, nchar(adapter))
> suffix <- substring(myReads, nchar(myReads) - nchar(adapter) + 1, nchar(myReads))
> whichAdapters <- which(vcountPattern(adapter, prefix, max.mismatch = 1) +
                         vcountPattern(adapter, suffix, max.mismatch = 1) > 0)
> nonAdapterReads <- myReads[- whichAdapters]
> adapterReads <- myReads[whichAdapters]
> adapterReads

Patrick