[Bioc-sig-seq] comparing Affy SNP arrays with deep sequencing ?

Wolfgang Raffelsberger wraff at titus.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Feb 18 19:29:31 CET 2009

Dear List,

here I have a more general question :
Has anyone compared (directly?) Affy 500kSNP arrays with deep sequencing
(here I'm rather thinking of Solexa/Illumina) ?
How much sequencing coverage should allow a 'decent' SNP calling ?
(Maybe I need to add that heterozygous SNPs should be detected, too)
At which level (of coverage) would you expect to get equivalent or
better results as Affy SNP arrays ? (Of course I know that a few
(specific) SNPs may be lost due to the random distribution of the reads...)

Or a variant of the question, if one sequenced a given zone of high
interest (possibly with multiplexing) what would be current advice in
terms of size of the zone (and number of multiplexed patients) to get
suffient coverage to detect heterozygous SNPs.

Thank's in advance,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Raffelsberger, PhD
Laboratoire de BioInformatique et Génomique Intégratives
CNRS UMR7104, IGBMC
1 rue Laurent Fries,  67404 Illkirch  Strasbourg,  France
Tel (+33) 388 65 3300         Fax (+33) 388 65 3276
wolfgang.raffelsberger (at) igbmc.fr