[Bioc-sig-seq] gapped alignment

Thomas Girke thomas.girke at ucr.edu
Fri Apr 24 18:21:01 CEST 2009

Dear Lana,

Using a short-read alignment tool in this case will only work, if
your virus sequences are extremely similar on the DNA level. If that
is not the case, then you want to use BLAST, PSI-BLAST, SAM, HMMER or
any other search tool suited for homolog searching. For detecting
remote homologs for a coding sequence, you definitely want to perform
the search on the protein level, because it will be much more sensitive.

Short-read alignment tools are optimized for aligning very similar
DNA sequences, but not for finding sequences of low similarity.

Thomas