[Bioc-sig-seq] (no subject) Changed: Overall directions

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 29 18:23:32 CET 2008

"Stephen Henderson" <s.henderson at ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> OK
>
> Perhaps I can be first by asking what tasks you plan to cover? And how
> do you plan to implement them in R (given the memory restrictions)? Do
> you plan a nice front end for lots of C-code?

Hi Stephen --

It'll depend of course on who in the community steps up. Probably
packages will start as a standard R interface that gets the job done,
with pretty gui's later. Probably an early step (though perhaps not
the very first) will be settling on a common set of S4-style classes
to represent experiments and data, in the manner of an ExpressionSet.

>From our end, our first pass is to assume that computer resources are
not really an issue -- a 2 or 4 GB 32-bit operating system is not what
we're targeting.

Also in terms of preliminary experience, it seems like some operations
can be done effectively at the R level (data input and QA assessment)
but that some important steps (e.g., alignments) require clever data
structures and algorithms that get implemented in C. It's also
possible for some questions to exploit the structure of the data,
e.g., analyzing Solexa data in manageable chunks corresponding to
individual tiles.

Martin