[Bioc-devel] Package with restrictive licenses, not suitable for Bioconductor

Laurent Gatto |@urent@g@tto @end|ng |rom uc|ouv@|n@be
Sun Jun 30 22:28:34 CEST 2024

The Bioconductor contributions guide says:

> Licenses restricting use, e.g., to academic or non-profit
> researchers, are not suitable for Bioconductor.

but we have several packages with restrictive licenses:

- RankProd: free for non-commercial users. Non-academic users MUST
  have requested from the author

- SPIA: This content is freely available to researchers in academia
  for RESEARCH AND TEACHING PURPOSES ONLY.  Absent the issuance of a
  license by Advaita Bioinformatics for the specific use of SPIA, the
  content shall not be used for any non-research or commercial
  application in any form. If you are interested in using any contents
  from SPIA for a product, service, or with a plan to redistribute
  (e.g., a website), then you must obtain a separate license from
  Advaita. Please contact info using advaitabio.com if you require further
  information.

- viper: This software evaluation license agreement ("License") is
  between The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York,
  ("University") and You (as defined below) ... University hereby
  grants, and You accept, subject to the terms and conditions of this
  License, a limited nonexclusive, nontransferable and non-assignable
  license to use the Program for non-commercial, academic or
  educational research purposes only.

- dorothea: DoRothEA is intended only for academic use as in contains
  resources whose licenses don't permit commercial use. However, we
  developed a non-academic version of DoRothEA by removing those
  resources (mainly TRED from the curated databases). You can find the
  non-academic package with the regulons here.

- MotifDb: MotifDb is a collection of position weight matrices and
  metadata obtained from six sources, with some restriction upon
  commercial use ...

Laurent