[Bioc-devel] Package with restrictive licenses, not suitable for Bioconductor

Charles Plessy ch@r|e@-||@te@+b|oc-deve| @end|ng |rom p|e@@y@org
Mon Jul 1 04:30:58 CEST 2024

Le Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 08:28:34PM +0000, Laurent Gatto via Bioc-devel a écrit :
> The Bioconductor contributions guide says:
>
> > Licenses restricting use, e.g., to academic or non-profit
> > researchers, are not suitable for Bioconductor.
>
> but we have several packages with restrictive licenses:

Hello,

there is also at least one package that contains a file derived from the
MEME suite and that is unfortunately restricted for non-commercial use.

https://code.bioconductor.org/browse/rGADEM/blob/RELEASE_3_19/src/evalue_meme.c?branch=RELEASE_3_19&file=src/evalue_meme.c#L14

It may also cause incompatibility problems with the GPL license of the
whole R package when distributed as a binary package or a container
image.

Best,

Charles, Debian developer and OIST.jp researcher

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org