[Bioc-devel] Fw: MungeSumstats Bioconductor

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@@on@g|thub @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 6 19:58:02 CET 2024

Hi Alan,

The specs of the Linux servers have not changed.

However we've recently observed some of these random kills by the Linux
kernel for a couple of other packages, and we started an application to
get funding to increase the amount of RAM on these machines.

These random kills are a desperate attempt by the Linux kernel to keep
the machine alive when it's under extremely high load and running out of
resources. Unfortunately this is not something that anybody will be able
to easily reproduce as it only happens under special circumstances e.g.
during the daily builds when dozens of packages are being checked
simultaneously.

Regardless of whether we'll manage to increase the memory on the Linux
servers, it seems to me that the most memory-hungry unit tests in
MungeSumstats would be a better fit for the long tests. These tests are
run once a week instead of daily, and use less workers (4 instead of
28). This means that each package has access to more resources.

See https://contributions.bioconductor.org/long-tests.html for how to
set up the long tests in your package.

Let me know if you have questions or need help with this.

Best,

H.