[Bioc-devel] Build error for CaDrA package on kunpeng2 Linux machine

Chau, Reina rch@u88 @end|ng |rom bu@edu
Wed Oct 18 22:10:44 CEST 2023

Thank you both! I will look thru the links and see if I can implement a fix.

Best,

Reina C.

On Oct 18, 2023, at 4:03 PM, Martin Grigorov <martin.grigorov using gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 10:48 PM Hervé Pagès <hpages.on.github using gmail.com<mailto:hpages.on.github using gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Reina,

Note that CaDrA results on Mac ARM64 are also affected:
https://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-mac-arm64-LATEST/CaDrA/

See Martin Grigorov's blog post here
https://blog.bioconductor.org/posts/2023-06-09-debug-linux-arm64-on-docker/
for how to debug Linux ARM64 related issues on a x86_64 host.

Note that different architectures use slightly different floating point
arithmetic with slightly different precision. This can affect the
results of your numerical calculations. The degree to which they are
affected will vary greatly depending on what calculations you perform
and how you perform them. So it's important to implement things in a way
that tries to minimize the impact of these variations as much as possible.

See https://go.dev/ref/spec#Floating_point_operators for some further explanation of the problem and possible fix by explicit rounding (in Golang, but I guess something similar happens in R)

Best,

H.

On 10/18/23 10:46, Chau, Reina wrote:
> Hi Bioconductor Core Team,
>
> I’m the maintainer of CaDrA package, and recently, I notice that my package built successfully for all platforms except on Kunpeng2 Linux machine (seehttps://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/CaDrA/<http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/CaDrA/>  andhttps://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/CaDrA/kunpeng2-checksrc.html<http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/CaDrA/kunpeng2-checksrc.html>)
>
> I did try to figure out what is causing the different results using this particular platform compare with others but with no resolves.
>
> Hope you can give me some guidance or feedback of why the build is failing for this particular case.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Best,
>
> Reina C.

Hervé Pagès

Bioconductor Core Team
hpages.on.github using gmail.com<mailto:hpages.on.github using gmail.com>