[Bioc-devel] BiocManager::install

Klaus Schliep k|@u@@@ch||ep @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 12 17:19:52 CEST 2023

Hi all,
no real contribution to this discussion, just some appreciation to all your
hard work.
I just wish CRAN had something like a proper release cycle for packages. I
contribute to two packages phangorn and ape, which have a decent number of
reverse dependencies. So you can't introduce any breaking changes (as there
is no devel branch) without contacting all maintainers and fixing some/most
reverse dependencies yourself. Also whenever CRAN introduces a change to
R-devel which causes an error of your package, one and sometime all
maintainers of dependent packages might get an email stating to fix this
within 2 weeks. This however has nothing to do with their release cycle of
the new R version itself. I wonder how many packages have been taken from
CRAN and how much total unnecessary frustration this causes?
Have a nice weekend.
Kind regards,
Klaus Schliep