[Bioc-devel] Proposing patch to Bioconductor package

Vincent Carey @tvjc @end|ng |rom ch@nn|ng@h@rv@rd@edu
Sat Jan 14 15:50:29 CET 2023

Thanks for checking in Duncan.  I don't believe we have a guideline on this.

We have code.bioconductor.org that facilitates search of the entire
codebase.  If
you provide a list of the functions that should not be used, I will see
about making
a focused message to the developers who need to change their code.

It really is up to the contributing developers to be aware of effects of
upstream changes,
but this is an opportunity for us to be a little more proactive about
notifying contributors
of events that could break packages in the release branch.

We can communicate about the details off line and then get back to the list
about the
basic process.  Or, if you want to handle the communications, go ahead --
BiocPkgTools
has some utilities that may be relevant.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 5:33 AM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
wrote:

> To BioC Devel:
>
> I'm updating the rgl package.  I think about 30 Bioconductor packages
> depend on it, and some of them are using obsolete functions which are
> going to be deprecated in the next release.  I'd like to inform those
> maintainers so their packages still work.
>
> Are there specific BioC guidelines for how I should inform them, or is
> it just like CRAN, do what the DESCRIPTION file says?
>
> Duncan Murdoch

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the ...{{dropped:18}}