[Bioc-devel] name for new BioC package

Matteo Tiberti t|bert| @end|ng |rom c@ncer@dk
Tue Feb 7 12:53:28 CET 2023

Dear all,

thanks for your input

just to answer on your different points:

@Kevin Coombes<mailto:kevin.r.coombes using gmail.com> I agree it can be annoying - we don't intend to heavily change the API, we mostly want to add functionality and refactoring some of the internals (including basic information that the package uses), which means results of Moonlight2R will be significantly different from MoonlightR

@Laurent, I think we will eventually deprecate MoonlightR but we would prefer having both of them on Bioconductor for now, as e.g. it makes it easier to run comparisons which are reproducible without too much pain

@Hervé Pagès<mailto:hpages.on.github using gmail.com> thanks a lot! I think we will keep the name with 2 for now

Best regards,

Matteo Tiberti

Danish Cancer Society
Strandboulevarden 49
DK-2100 Copenhagen
Telefon: +45 35 25 73 07

[cid:14bd0b1b-c32e-460e-bd97-b434f126f8c5]<https://www.cancer.dk/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=medarbejderemail&utm_campaign=medarbejderemail&utm_content=cancerdk>

www.cancer.dk<https://www.cancer.dk/international/> | Vores privatlivspolitik<https://www.cancer.dk/om-os/privatlivspolitik/>

________________________________
From: Kevin Coombes <kevin.r.coombes using gmail.com>
Sent: 04 February 2023 14:26
To: Hervé Pagès <hpages.on.github using gmail.com>
Cc: Matteo Tiberti <tiberti using cancer.dk>; bioc-devel using r-project.org <bioc-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] name for new BioC package

For the record, as a user, I  *hated* the move from MOFA to MOFA2. Not the new package name, but the fact that they also Schanged all the function names and argument names. Mostly, they switched from using periods to underscores. But this meant having to tediously hand-edit every script that used MOFA in order to continue using that script in newer versions of R (since they also discontinued supporting the MOFA package in newer versions). Also, some of the changes produced less useful graphical summaries, to the extent that I took the time to write my own code to reproduce the original versions.

So, I would suggest that you at least think about how much work you are creating for your established users before making the change. And make choices that minimize the burden you are imposing on them.

Best,
  Kevin