[Bioc-devel] Fwd: Maintaining package and pull forks from different github accounts/repos.

Jean-Philippe Villemin jpv|||em|n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 1 12:45:12 CEST 2022

I have a few questions about managing a bioconductor package. Of course I
have been through the doc for package maintenance here
<https://contributions.bioconductor.org/package-maintenance.html>.
Just want to check that my forklow is ok

We have a bioconductor package.
We want to move its github source account to our github account lab.
Maintainer is not in the lab anymore and that's the only person who used to
have access to the bioconductor server. By the way, the github repository
was not maintained synchronized with the bioconductor one. (seems he only
pushed from the local then to biocond).

Moreover, one collaborator did somes changes on a fork from the github(not
bioconductor) in its github account . He shared access with us  (~100
commits without bumbling x.y.z+1 each commit.)

1 - Ask the principal maintainer to ask the bioconductor team via
maintainer using bioconductor to add  me as maintainer.
2 - Then I can access and modify BiocCredientials
<https://git.bioconductor.org/BiocCredentials/login/?next=/BiocCredentials/>
 freely.
3 - On local, clone the repo from bioconductor.
5 - Create an empty remote, push the cloned repo
6 - On local, fetch and merge the fork collaborator did.
6 note - Build and check . No need to biocheck ? For example, if it's a
major release where you switch to S4 objects...
7 - git push to remote bioconductor.
8 - In october/avril changes will be added to release.

Specific question for 6 : Collaborator did not bump each of its commits. Is
that possible to fetch/merge as a simple commit (squash) and  increment +1
z at this time to maintain the bumbling. That's becoming our new starting
point. Or squash not necessary, you cant start the bumbling after comments
from you collaboration, they won't be seen in bioinstall.

Specific question 7 : From the point you clone the bioconductor repo. You
are on a devel x.(release+1).z . Every push on upstream bioconductor will
be considered as on devel version, and at the time of release, this will
add to the next release. Can you create a branch with the release version
before beginning to modify it ? How ? Just by creating a branch from the
previous RELEASE just after the first clone from bioconductor ?  In fact
the release is in your history..

Thanks.

--
*Jean-Philippe Villemin   *- Bioinformatics, PhD -

Cancer Bioinformatics and Systems Biology

Institut de Recherche en Cancérologie de Montpellier

Inserm U1194

*jpvillemin using gmail.com <jpvillemin using gmail.com>*