[Bioc-devel] Maintaining package with already modified fork repository from github.

Kern, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Mon Nov 28 13:42:12 CET 2022

I'm not a git expert by any means and someone may have better advice but my plan of attack would be the following:

If the repository with the changes is a fork, they should be able to request a Pull Request to your original repo. I would start there. You can access the changes on a separate branch of the original repository that is closest in sync with Bioconductor.

Then before merging that branch/PR request,

I would clone the original repo, make sure the remotes are set with an upstream for Bioconductor. do a git fetch --all and a git pull upstream to merge any Bioconductor changes.  Resolve any conflicts with that.

Then I would switch/checkout to the PR branch, merge the main/master branch into the PR branch, and resolve any merge conflicts there.
Then checkout/switch back to the main/master branch and merge the PR branch.

Do the version bump separate and lastly after all merge conflicts are resolved.  If its a major release, you can not bump the x of version x.y.z yourself.  If you would like it to be 2.0.0 in the april release,  please bump the y to 99 and then continue to do routine maintenance by bumping z as normal.
eg.  if the version was 1.23.0, you would bump to 1.99.0 or 1.99.1 -- .

And as you described, you would only do all of this on the master branch that is associated with devel and have the changes in the april release.

Cheers,

Lori Shepherd - Kern

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center

Elm & Carlton Streets

Buffalo, New York 14263