[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor guidelines for R and Julia integration

Fabricio de Almeida |@br|c|o_@|me|d@@||v@ @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Thu Mar 31 18:55:16 CEST 2022

Dear Bioc developers,

I am currently working on a package for network analysis, and one of the main functions takes a long time to run in real data sets. Rewriting it in Julia leads to a dramatic reduction in runtime, so I think it could be a feasible solution.

I know there are some guidelines for handling C and Fortran code in Bioc packages (https://bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/), as well as for Python code (using {basilisk}), but I have never seen anything similar for Julia.

I know Julia code can be integrated in R with the JuliaCall package (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/JuliaCall/index.html), but I don't know what is the standard practice in Bioc. Could anyone help me on that?

Kind regards,
Fabricio

Fabr�cio de Almeida Silva, MSc.

PhD student in Bioinformatics (Ghent University, Belgium)

UGent-VIB Center for Plant Systems Biology

Personal website: https://almeidasilvaf.github.io