[Bioc-devel] Packages removing documentation

Kern, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Tue Aug 2 15:19:02 CEST 2022

Yes I was thinking along the same lines. Run once every few weeks to get a snapshot of how packages do on BiocCheck and slowly try to get maintainers to clean up those results.

Lori Shepherd - Kern

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center

Elm & Carlton Streets

Buffalo, New York 14263

________________________________
From: Llu�s Revilla <lluis.revilla using gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2022 9:08 AM
To: Kern, Lori <Lori.Shepherd using RoswellPark.org>
Cc: bioc-devel <bioc-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Packages removing documentation

Hi Lori,

Many thanks for your quick response.

I think the requirements for new packages are great but I'm not sure
all these standards can be applied to older packages:
The new requirements in BiocCheck might result in warnings and errors
to many packages.
For instance, new submitted packages are required to remove files such
as .Rproj or the .github folder [1, 2], which some older packages have
(including mine).
There was a discussion about these files a couple of years ago in the
community-bioc slack and more recently to allow the inclusion of these
files [3, 4, 5]
Older packages might not have vignettes with executed code, which
might be difficult for maintainers to now rewrite the vignettes.

I don't know enough about the resources of Bioconductor to propose a
good solution.
But I think lower BiocChecks frequency than current checks, such as
once every 3 months or at similar frequencies, would allow
Bioconductor to detect those issues while not imposing too much burden
on the Bioconductor resources.
However, a faster and lighter approach might be using static analysis
on the packages: grep or specific tools such as
https://secure-web.cisco.com/1R557UXDvqcXWXGd1Dmm73gkoF3ahbnvTzreZGbmPl1ECO5EKI6bycTqP2g3T8LdpEuSvPQD01IfvJCaeafjfjmoC0pHNiClqjtKbsud0slV3COJ-0SwVJqG4wz-IgBDtXMLeziiLfpTcncgaJiPYDmfUOsOXyCzn6Yd2GQJA06fMAhnjF_drUjSPdnSmvtIxxLQN02KZWGJoQ44AnYpiYHSgcMm23bpfaIBxK64jr-KuAeH0IpaTraip0nfVWsK0kAQcPja9O1_1P9d3bu8Hqsfl4-NjPEqIfPlTavT--fxSHwsXOgK0MdHayp8SdpoR/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fropensci-review-tools%2Fpkgstats

Cheers,

Llu�s

[1]: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1a_0YmVnu1GsjtpN64fdr9ReKL8y7kvZMHKR8qpYBn5HgXrWtm5E5WfR7y_y2C8g1K0MLqzB2Wx72YP-A__2F7jWgrcpXEbhi7KS4H6Z-Y0YP3NlLQKWu844zMQ9jrQ3uYcH6kcr8HPvR_mSoo1Sho6wRWn5PNH9FIX42r-fPE-KXnBknAwOhsBw3Y3_lasNFyMcxa32gEG5P4CFeVNDB-xdtOy57SrG97UVBxwaBt3Na3NMb2djINlSirreD312cl7TwUvkMXE7caB1LX5VYaRy3NdInpp6K1GKxbEX_YBbfnwHTSEbz-V3q4wbapkay/https%3A%2F%2Fbioconductor.org%2Fpackages%2Frelease%2Fbioc%2Fvignettes%2FBiocCheck%2Finst%2Fdoc%2FBiocCheck.html%23bad-file-check
[2]: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1Ccb2CHRSAmwZvpozxv1vJJRGKiuClEftczI6PoRWHwynswHD15Ube0O7f5yGQD2xEFX1kuk2SB7zdSx_IQ1ep0hwoRuHt72SOV_rCER6LD_T5nFpTqhZJ8-1usM3ENqGbqjOUphghqrWXchfyGrZ2zQ2_uFRoRab_1fzCPPkqlRSyc1VJbxQ4dEiNFfU5f4zHleD2oCGGnoTY6AUVGY_BIk4efWSBbPcMzxcOXxzHejGS7sLMRyY6KiB-w72t7MbtV6oS97x0i3XZvViLe0JIGx15M2RYozJcLyWcD_L-_gSAFGMHJYB-nb-aon_a-BK/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FBioconductor%2FContributions%2Fissues%2F2658%23issuecomment-1121182390
[3]: https://secure-web.cisco.com/13KOi4VHL3o9Qdtvv2ePVVuAVKGS_Xhh52g__0PKj7ciXYEdt4joapalxqqZO5cK7IzHxOmcuUpI-Dm8DxX0Ki74y4yNMXTEyDwryXMKdf_9tV1X9D6b-Tbch5kwbQzBzlnmJlU1h0FMKC0DcqGrrPuSddn4xqvH8nZlct_-DXfkgnqLDyrzivlFGjaIjcqJ3414ekY3RFDX9hVIjvLuluQMxt09m3HGLDSP7VnuBksOO3RlEB1Ak319Fc2KTAeyptoRdB6vOVGyNdCM-OSrQ0gS3PYsoBzzeypGbW0fVOv81FNB-ji_qkzQaUYwrTzvz/https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity-bioc.slack.com%2Farchives%2FC6MVC96AZ%2Fp1604600559030500
[4]: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1kSs36-mDRQ4H-_n-mBfn5U-MGzivcYMwNRwuZiWQvpx3Ad5ND31J-iyC5Eq-dx4CE5phFz6l6oNVIDNX7K4uKD1MpW3Z0EWzlbMTlfi8HU3_lhfey3UIl37OpdWItn-Nwdco4uIj4g4L8Hovt2UA0F1E568jyGa7p65UKMwvoaAkpFgzaupcqTIK13kGjVa6LCpInj2zFfgNmLhsSEPosaJwTo_0FZjkpibWs793ktX1tOnOTDbLAK18Qp7b46Emin97J-S6RTWMFiX1Qdjswxr0uQLtu4WRu8vWcjlu5vJofWsTzdL8b4d-_Mb7SxLE/https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity-bioc.slack.com%2Farchives%2FC6MVC96AZ%2Fp1649041312699229
[5]: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1Hr59KpkdDTN0Xfel1CSvfsLH8p9Aw1n--dbFWgCgNqwL2Ic87FKByIFGEJfSnPWi7UJQ3Yx1R8MtIi15GT8VFaLT82FZi9S-CVfINQszKAVJ_LKMKz33xv_VCu_EELTs0wk24pCpzvi08xInBClFTDPn3t9sPH2S0WSQDYQVpI-w0W9YT6YSMH3Yvgmn2pmBJ0HcRVRyiWvj5JHSPdQWbtb3celIvb3EXQfrO-6zQ6xLnv8SlWZd17Yv6429ZDiWjxoEQwWLPxBpk7fKEQJJo3VLuVbXJN30xfPFCE5fL3fGPoSVisIdALi0133ESBWC/https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity-bioc.slack.com%2Farchives%2FC6MVC96AZ%2Fp1621466394001900
and subsequent messages