[Bioc-devel] Package name

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 22 14:02:07 CEST 2021

For CRAN packages it's easy. Packages on CRAN are eternal. They may be
archived, but they are never removed, so in a sense they're always
"currently on CRAN". Archived packages may still be installed, but only
with some efforts of the user. Some packages go in an out of "archived"
status depending how quick the maintainer fixes issues. Because of this, I
cannot really see how a CRAN package name can be "reused" by anyone else
without a formal handover agreement between old and new maintainers. Even
so, I think CRAN needs to approve on the "update" in order to unarchive it.

Personally, I'd argue the same should apply to Bioconductor packages.
Reusing package names for other purposes/different APIs is just asking for
troubles, e.g. when it comes to future scientists trying to reproduce
legacy results.

/Henrik