[Bioc-devel] Windows-specific Function Not Found Error

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 13 01:19:31 CEST 2021

Remember that Windows doesn�t have �forked� parallelism; all processes are running in separate processes where the functions in use need to be made explicitly available.

Likely you can emulate this error on non-windows by using �SnowParam()� instead of MulticoreParam(), e.g.,

> library(SummarizedExperiment)
> library(BiocParallel)
> result <- bplapply(1:2, function(i) colData, BPPARAM = MulticoreParam(2))
> result <- bplapply(1:2, function(i) colData, BPPARAM = SnowParam(2))
Error: BiocParallel errors
  2 remote errors, element index: 1, 2
  0 unevaluated and other errors
  first remote error: object 'colData' not found

Solve the problem by explicitly indicating the source of the function

> result <- bplapply(1:2, function(i) SummarizedExperiment::colData, BPPARAM = SnowParam(2))

or perhaps something along the lines of

FUN = function(i) {
    library(SummarizedExperiment)
   colData
}

I would guess that your package Depends: but does not Import the package where colData is defined; I think BiocParallel would normally serialize the package environment, and hence colData, to the worker�

Martin