[Bioc-devel] %outside% on GRanges

James W. MacDonald jm@cdon @end|ng |rom uw@edu
Wed May 26 16:27:17 CEST 2021

Hi Oleksii,

That function is just a simplification of the negation of overlapsAny:

> getAnywhere("%outside%")
A single object matching '%outside%' was found
It was found in the following places
  package:IRanges
  namespace:IRanges
with value

function (query, subject)
!overlapsAny(query, subject)
<bytecode: 0x00000000120f7218>
<environment: namespace:IRanges>

And overlapsAny has dispatch on Granges objects via inheritance from the Vector class.

> showMethods("overlapsAny")
Function: overlapsAny (package IRanges)
query="GRanges", subject="GRanges"
    (inherited from: query="Vector", subject="Vector")
query="integer", subject="Vector"
query="IntegerRangesList", subject="IntegerRangesList"
query="Vector", subject="missing"
query="Vector", subject="Vector"

So far as I can tell there is no code in GenomicRanges to make this happen - it just dispatches via inheritance - so there is no direct help page in GenomicRanges.

Best,

Jim