[Bioc-devel] Removal of large items in git history - BiocCheck warning

Murphy, Alan E @@murphy @end|ng |rom |mper|@|@@c@uk
Thu Mar 4 17:19:32 CET 2021

Hi all,

I am working on the development of EWCE<https://github.com/NathanSkene/EWCE> for submission to Bioconductor. I have removed some large objects from the package and moved them to a separate ExperimentHub package however, after their removal, I got a BiocCheck large file warning.

To deal with the data stored in git history, I followed the instructions to use the BFG cleaner with the max size set to 5MB. This appeared to work and some things were removed but yet I still get the warning below:

$warning[1] "The following files are over 5MB in size: '.git/objects/pack/pack-366a7ab7a2ba4e656f3a9f3f1408be7ab9f41303.pack'"

If I try to rerun the BFG cleaner I get the following output:

Warning : no large blobs matching criteria found in packfiles - does the repo need to be packed?

I have tried two different methods to using the BFG cleaner, one from BFG<https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/> themselves and one from Bioconductor<https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/remove-large-data/>. I have also completed all steps in both including the prune step:

git reflog expire --expire=now --all && git gc --prune=now --aggressive

I have even tried reducing the max from 5MB to 1MB but still nothing seems to be left eve at that size. Does anyone know of another way to sort this issue or have any clue what I may be doing wrong?

Kind regards,
Alan.

Alan Murphy
Bioinformatician