[Bioc-devel] ExperimentHub package development - Windows OS specific error

Murphy, Alan E @@murphy @end|ng |rom |mper|@|@@c@uk
Tue Mar 2 18:00:52 CET 2021

Hi all,

My apologies, I have emailed before on a related issue but now think I have found a potential cause of the issue I am having but can't seem to find a fix.

I am working on an ExperimentHub data package; ewceData<https://github.com/neurogenomics/ewceData>, which fails checks on Windows OS but passes on Linux and Mac. On Windows, the package fails to install with the following output:

Error: package or namespace load failed for 'ewceData':
 .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'ewceData', details:
  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
  error: no objects found
Error: loading failed
Execution halted

It seems like this error is caused by my onload function. The onload function I use (zzz.R) should allow easy access to the stored datasets, allowing a user to call the dataset like dataset1()​. The error note printed appears because the metadata.csv file did not read properly

.onLoad <- function(libname, pkgname) {
  objs <- read.csv(system.file("extdata", "metadata.csv",
                               package="ewceData"),
                   stringsAsFactors=FALSE)$Title
  if (!length(objs))
    stop("no objects found")

It would seem the issue is with either read.csv​ or system.file​ and is specific to Windows OS. Just to note I also do import read.csv from utils.

If anyone has come across an issue like this before or have good guesses for a possible fix it would be greatly appreciated?

Kind regards,
Alan,

Alan Murphy
Bioinformatician