[Bioc-devel] How to change the name of a package on Bioconductor

Yu Huihui yuhu|hu|2011 @end|ng |rom |oxm@||@com
Thu Feb 18 00:02:38 CET 2021

Thank you, Martin,

I have renamed 'vasp' to "VaSP" in release and devel branches. I will wait for the build result. If it success, I will keep the name "VaSP" and just maintain "VaSP".

Huihui

From:                                                                                                                        "Martin Morgan"                                                                                    <mtmorgan.bioc using gmail.com>;
Date: Thu, Feb 18, 2021 06:40 AM
To: "Yu Huihui"<yuhuihui2011 using foxmail.com>;"nturaga.bioc"<nturaga.bioc using gmail.com>;
Cc: "bioc-devel"<bioc-devel using r-project.org>;
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] How to change the name of a package on Bioconductor

Your package will build under the new name. When it builds successfully, the url https://bioconductor.org/packages/VaSP will point to the new landing page. The user will install it with `BiocManager::install("VaSP")`. The user will use the package with `library("VaSP")`.

The old version of your package, with the original name, will remain available at https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/vasp.

Note that your users who have already installed your package may experience problems, e.g., on some operating systems that respect differences in directory case, library(vasp) and library(VaSP) will return different versions of the package. On operating systems with file systems that do not differentiate between case their previous installation of vasp will be replaced by VaSP, and library(vasp) will no longer work. This problem will only persist for existing users of Bioconductor version 3.12.

Issues like this make renaming packages very tedious. A more formal approach would have deprecated 'vasp' over two release cycles (introduce deprecation in devel, wait for next release, remove from devel, leading to final removal two releases from now) and at the same time introduce a new package into devel. But the new package could not have been named 'VaSP', for the file naming reasons mentioned. So you would have had to rename your package something else, SuperVaSP, but then you would not have addressed your concern, that you had published your package under the name VaSP rather than vasp.

I chose to simply replace 'vasp' with 'VaSP', in both the release and devel branches, rather than force you though these hoops.

We will not create and maintain a special redirect for your package.

Martin