[Bioc-devel] MAGMA executable

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@@on@g|thub @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Dec 13 18:46:43 CET 2021

Hi Brian,

Note that Rsamtools does not relies on any CLI tools. It contains C/C++
code that is _compiled_ and _linked_ against Rhtslib rather than relying
on the standalone `samtools` and `tabix` commands.

Installing MAGMA at package installation time in the package
installation folder of MAGMA.Celltyping means downloading MAGMA each
time MAGMA.Celltyping gets installed, including after each update of
MAGMA.Celltyping. This would be very unusual and would break the general
expectation that a local install with 'R CMD INSTALL MAGMA.Celltyping'
should work without the need to access the internet to download
additional stuff.

Instead I would recommend the following:

- Install in a more permanent location like
tools::R_user_dir("MAGMA.Celltyping", which="cache")

- Do not install at package installation time or at package load time.
Instead, delay installation until it's needed, that is, until the user
calls a function that actually needs MAGMA. One way to achieve this is
by making sure that all your functions that rely on MAGMA check its
presence with magma_installed_version() and call magma_install() if
needed. If MAGMA's license requires that the user accepts an end-user
agreement, then your functions should not try to install MAGMA
automatically. They should just fail with an error asking the user to
call magma_install().

Another approach is to bundle MAGMA's source in MAGMA.Celltyping and
compile it at installation time but that's an entirely different story.

Hope this helps,

H.