[Bioc-devel] BrowserViz build test times out, checks for web browser availability, apparently needs update

Vincent Carey @tvjc @end|ng |rom ch@nn|ng@h@rv@rd@edu
Wed Aug 25 21:41:41 CEST 2021

Sorry for delay in responding Paul.  I had a look at BrowserViz and ran into

> PORT_RANGE <- 12111:12120
> if(BrowserViz::webBrowserAvailableForTesting()){
+    bvApp <- BrowserViz(browserFile=browserVizBrowserFile, quiet=TRUE)
+    data <- list(lowercase=letters, uppercase=LETTERS)
+    json.returned <- roundTripTest(bvApp, data)
+    data.returned <- fromJSON(json.returned)
+    message(sprintf("    %5d bytes exchanged", nchar(json.returned)))
+    stopifnot(data == data.returned)
+    html <- sprintf("<h3>round trip of json-encoded data, %d chars</h3>",
+                    nchar(json.returned))
+    displayHTMLInDiv(bvApp, html, "bvDemoDiv")
+    }
attempting to open websocket connection on port 10000
BrowserViz websocket ready after   1.30 seconds
      237 bytes exchanged
Error in data == data.returned :
  comparison of these types is not implemented

Maybe we can discuss this on issues in BrowserViz github ... where is
that?  Then
we can bring back the solution to bioc-devel.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 1:25 PM Paul Shannon <
paul.thurmond.shannon using gmail.com> wrote:

> The BrowserViz package - currently timing out on malbec1 and nebbiolo1,
> supports json messaging over websockets between R and most web browsers.
>
> The unit tests for BrowserViz only run if a web browser is available.   In
> recent years, a (presumably headless) web browser was offered on the Linux
> build machines. Depending on that, and for a few years, the following
> conditional execution has worked.  But maybe no longer?
>
> webBrowserAvailableForTesting <- function() {
>   authorsDevelopmentMachine <- grepl("hagfish", Sys.info()["nodename"])
>   bioconductorBuildSystem.linux <- with(as.list(Sys.info()), sysname ==
> "Linux")
>   interactiveUse <- interactive()
>   return(authorsDevelopmentMachine || bioconductorBuildSystem.linux ||
> interactiveUse)
>   }
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
>
>  - Paul

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the ...{{dropped:18}}