[Bioc-devel] MPFE Bioconductor package

Stone, Matt m@tone @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Thu Sep 17 05:16:31 CEST 2020

Hi Dr. Burden,

The "ERROR" links on that report page link to the full check reports for each platform. Here is the report from malbec1, one of the Linux machines.

http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/3.12/bioc-LATEST/MPFE/malbec1-checksrc.html

If you're not familiar with the output of R CMD check, it runs a series of diagnostic checks and reports any detected issues. In order of decreasing severity, they are ERROR, WARNING, and NOTE. The Bioconductor guidelines [1] indicate that errors and warnings must be fixed in order for the package to be accepted. (You can find more details on the checks in the R Packages book [2].)

This check report found one ERROR, one WARNING, and one NOTE. The ERROR was caused by an error in one of the documented examples in the file `MPFE-Ex.R`, which you can see in this excerpt from the report:

* checking examples ... ERROR
Running examples in ‘MPFE-Ex.R’ failed
The error most likely occurred in:

> base::assign(".ptime", proc.time(), pos = "CheckExEnv")
> ### Name: MPFE-package
> ### Title: MPFE
> ### Aliases: MPFE-package MPFE
> ###   methylation
>
> ### ** Examples
>
>   data(patternsExample)
>   estimates <- estimatePatterns(patternsExample, epsilon=0.02, eta=0.01)

 In my experience, errors in the examples are caused by either a) buggy or outdated code in the example or b) a bug in one of the package functions that the example uses. Here, I would guess that either a bug exists in the estimatePatterns() function, or the data loaded from patternsExample isn't as expected. You can reproduce and debug the error by running the example yourself.

For the other two checks: The WARNING was caused by the current deprecation status of MPFE (which I'm guessing you're in the process of updating). The NOTE suggests you explicitly import some functions that haven't yet been declared in the NAMESPACE. I'm relatively new to Bioconductor and so I don't know if this is mandated, but I would suggest fixing this as well.

Hope this was helpful!

Matt

[1] https://www.bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/
[2] https://r-pkgs.org/r-cmd-check.html#check-checks