[Bioc-devel] SSL error on Ubuntu 20.04

Mike Smith gr|mbough @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Oct 1 12:10:41 CEST 2020

Hi Lara,

I've encountered this issue with biomaRt too.

I found I could get the connection to work with the following:

library(httr)
url <- "https://www.ensembl.org/"
httr_config <-  config(ssl_cipher_list = "DEFAULT using SECLEVEL=1")
res <- with_config(config = httr_config, GET(url))

I haven't quite decided the best way to integrate that into my package, for
now it uses the httr_config if it's running on any Linux, which seems quite
heavy handed. It may be that specifying a particular cipher or determining
the host capabilities would be preferable to "DEFAULT", but does seem to
work for now on Ubuntu 20.04 and hasn't thrown any problems for my tests on
16.04 and 18.04.

Best,
Mike