[Bioc-devel] Running vignettes one at a time works but build_vignettes causes buffer overflow

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 23 17:59:20 CET 2020

It would really help (maybe this has been mentioned before, but I'm not very good at remembering things) to indicate what package this is!

When R installs a package, it (probably this is not the right thing to do) builds all vignettes in the same session. Maybe devtools does this too? You could work toward debugging by creating the source code of each vignette using tools::Stangle() or knitr::purl(), then starting a new, clean, R session and source()ing the first, second... vignettes. Basically the goal is to simplify the problem so that it can be reproduced in a single R session, and perhaps even further...

Buffer overflow is a C-level problem, e.g., copying too many characters into a buffer. If I were trying to debug this I'd brush up on my gdb / lldb skills and try to reproduce this with something like

  $ R -d gdb
  gdb> run
  > source("vig1.R")
  > source("vig2.R")

If this triggers the error, you'd find yourself at the gdb prompt, and you could use `up` to navigate the stack until the location of the buffer overflow (in your code) is found...

If you provide more information, especially an easily reproducible example, I can try to provide more specific advice.

Martin