[Bioc-devel] Issue when merging upstream current release branch

Hélène Borges borge@@he|ene@@oph|e @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Nov 12 18:05:51 CET 2020

Dear Bioc developers,

I am the maintainer of the wpm package which has been released for the
first time on Bioconductor release 3.12.
After reviewers comments for the corresponding paper, I need to make some
changes on my package, including adding a test dataset.
Since I changed my machine, I followed the instructions of the links:
https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/sync-existing-repositories/
 and
https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/bug-fix-in-release-and-devel/

I have cloned the project (origin master) and I have the Bioconductor
upstream:
$ git fetch --all
Fetching origin
Fetching upstream

But I got a git message when trying to follow this command line (step 10
from the sync tutorial):
~/Documents/wpm (master)
$ git checkout -b RELEASE_3_12 upstream/RELEASE_3_12
Switched to a new branch 'RELEASE_3_12'
Branch 'RELEASE_3_12' set up to track remote branch 'RELEASE_3_12' from
'upstream'.
~/Documents/wpm (RELEASE_3_12)
$ git merge origin/RELEASE_3_12
merge: origin/RELEASE_3_12 - not something we can merge

So, I supposed this means there is no RELEASE_3_12 branch locally, but
actually it does exist (I can "checkout" it)... What I saw is that no
RELEASE_3_12 was created on my GitHub repo, so how do I add it and merge it?
I tried some things but it did not work. No problem with the upstream
branch, so I suppose that if I push changes it will work for the
Bioconductor upstream but not for origin/master (GitHub).

In addition, I wonder on which branches commit + push my changes. I suppose
origin/master branch (Github) and the upstream/release branch
(bioconductor)  but I do not know how to make my changes correctly since
the merges requested in the tutorial do not work...

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Hélène Borges