[Bioc-devel] Would it make sense for BiocManager::install to cache downloaded packages?

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Nov 4 19:52:24 CET 2020

FWIW BiocManager::install() really delegates to install.packages(). The packages are downloaded to 'destdir=' as documented on ?install.packages -- typically file.path(tempdir(), "downloaded_packages") -- and one path to  troubleshooting installs is to tackle the problematic installation(s) using `install.packages(pkgs_in_downloaded_packages, repos = NULL)`, where pkgs_in_downloaded_packages are the packages that have failed to install on first pass.

It does seem like this would be a reasonable feature for base R, that we could inherit, so one could ask on R-devel or submit a bug report / feature request (e.g., via `bug.report()`).

Martin