[Bioc-devel] Possible problems with BiocParallel and R cmd check on Github

Giulia Pais g|u||@p@|@1 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 29 19:18:35 CEST 2020

Hi bioconductor team,

we are currently developing a package for future submission on
bioconductor which you can find here
https://github.com/calabrialab/ISAnalytics.

We use Github actions to keep track of R cmd checks at every commit, and
this time, surprisingly for us, we had a failure on R cmd checks for
windows (which is odd, since we develop on windows and performing check
on 2 different windows machines didn't raise any error or warning) and
we suspect this could be tied to the use of BiocParallel. For Windows,
in fact, we use SnowParam instead of MulticoreParam and as the vignette
and manual of BiocParallel specifies we must ensure that every worker is
loaded with the proper dependencies, but apparently this is not
necessary if the function to execute in bplapply belongs to the package
in question. Here is the code of the function that might raise some
problems:

.import_type <- function(q_type, files, workers) {
   files <- files %>% dplyr::filter(.data$Quantification_type == q_type)
   # Register backend according to platform
   if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows") {
     p <- BiocParallel::SnowParam(workers = workers, stop.on.error = FALSE)
   } else {
     p <- BiocParallel::MulticoreParam(workers = workers, stop.on.error
= FALSE)
   }
   # Import every file
   suppressMessages(suppressWarnings({
     matrices <- BiocParallel::bptry(
       BiocParallel::bplapply(files$Files_chosen, FUN = function(x) {
         matrix <- ISAnalytics::import_single_Vispa2Matrix(x)
       }, BPPARAM = p)
     )
     }))
   BiocParallel::bpstop(p)
   correct <- BiocParallel::bpok(matrices)
   imported_files <- files %>% dplyr::mutate(Imported = correct)
   matrices <- matrices[correct]
   # Bind rows in single tibble for all files
   if (purrr::is_empty(matrices)) {
     return(NULL)
   }
   matrices <- purrr::reduce(matrices, function(x, y) {
     x %>% dplyr::bind_rows(y) %>% dplyr::distinct()
   })
   list(matrices, imported_files)
}

The report of the Github action can be found here:
https://github.com/calabrialab/ISAnalytics/runs/923261561

The check apparently fails with these warnings: Warning - namespace
'ISAnalytics' is not available and has been replaced. We tried adding
'library(ISAnalytics)' and 'require(ISAnalytics)' but if we do that
BiocCheck fails with a warning, prompting for removal of this lines.
Could this be a real issue with our package or just a problem with
Github actions?

Thanks in advance,

Giulia Pais