[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor Git: Online interface

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Feb 12 00:06:10 CET 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 2:42 PM Martin Morgan <mtmorgan.bioc using gmail.com> wrote:

> (sending again from / to an appropriate email address, sorry for the noise)
>
> Henrik -- I appreciate the ease with which gitea can be deployed in this one-off solution but cynically think that a real deployment would introduce significant work, e.g., re-tooling our approach to new package addition, management of user credentials, and integration of the nightly build system.

Among those examples, the only thing I see would be the workload of
adding/removing packages from Gitea so that it reflects what's on the
Git server.  Since Gitea can automatically sync with a Git server via
an URL, I don't see how things such as nightly builds etc come into
play.  User credentials should also not matter.  There should be no
backup needs other than possible one admin account with Swagger API
access.

> If you'd like to work on a more complete (off-line, so as not to present a confusion of interfaces for the user and developer) implementation I'd be happy to provide some pointers to the major challenges.

I proposed Gitea because I know it well now, it has GitHub like
features that people already knows about (e.g. linking to code
snippets https://gitea.com/hb/aroma.light/src/branch/master/R/iwpca.R#L147-L152),
and it has the more potentials/features if you choose to go down that
route. I know there are other Git-to-webpage tools out there, which
are purely designed for viewing. It might be that those are a safer
route to go down. Given how easy it is to set up Gitea for this, and
Gitea has much more features, I'd be surprise if it wouldn't be as
easy for those tools too.  It could be that they're zero-config, e.g.
point to the folder where the git repositories live and you're ready
to go live.

Feel free to forward discussions/ideas (better if already public
somewhere; there might be others who can pitch in too), but
unfortunately I don't have much spare cycles to work on this.

Being able to browse code and link to code when reaching out to
maintainers is something Bioconductor is really missing right now.
This would lower the friction for contributing to packages that you
don't work on on a regular basis, e.g. typos, bug fixes, etc.

Henrik