[Bioc-devel] Compatibility of Bioconductor with tidyverse S3 classes/methods

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Feb 8 17:08:56 CET 2020

The first thing is that most contributed packages end up being accepted, so the discussion here should be considered as (strong) advice, rather than requirement. The advice is partly offered to maximize the success of contributed packages in the Bioconductor ecosystem, but at the end of the day the success of your package depends on the value it adds to the users who find it. Vince offered some pretty high enthusiasm, which is a good sign!

I used ‘primarily’ mostly to encourage a more careful implementation of support for SE – it’s easy to say ‘yes, my package interoperates with SE’, but much more challenging to demonstrate through evaluated code that it actually does!

Cynically but with empirical experience and not a reflection of your own commitment, I’ve learned that the promise of ‘future’ integration is seldom realized – package submission is often the last time that the community can directly influence package implementation and development. It would be interesting to develop review processes that continuously assessed package quality and utility.

Martin

From: stefano <mangiolastefano using gmail.com>
Date: Friday, February 7, 2020 at 6:39 PM
To: Vincent Carey <stvjc using channing.harvard.edu>
Cc: Martin Morgan <mtmorgan.bioc using gmail.com>, Michael Lawrence <lawrence.michael using gene.com>, "bioc-devel using r-project.org" <bioc-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Compatibility of Bioconductor with tidyverse S3 classes/methods

Thanks Guys for the discussion (I am learning a lot),

To Martin:

Thanks for the tips. I will start to implement those S4 style methods https://github.com/stemangiola/ttBulk/issues/7

I would really like to be part of Bioconductor community with this package, if just this

> " One would expect the vignette and examples to primarily emphasize the use of the interoperable (SummmarizedExperiment) version. "

Could become this

> One would expect the vignette and examples to emphasize the use of the interoperable (SummmarizedExperiment) version.

I agree with the integration priority of Bioconductor, but this repository (and this philosophy) is more than its data structures. There should be space for more than one approach to do things, given that the principle are respected.

If this is true, I could really spend energies to use methods as you suggested and implement the SummarisedExperiment stream. And with the tips of the community the link will become stronger and stronger with time and versions.

To Vincent

Thanks a lot for the interest.

> One thing I feel is missing is an approach to the following question: [..] How do I make one that works the way ttBulk's operators work?

I'm afraid I don't really understand the question. Are you wondering about extension of the framework? Or creating a similar framework for other applications? Could you please reformulate, maybe giving a concrete example?

> Are there patterns there that are preserved across different operators?

A commonality is the use of code for integrating the new calculated information (dplyr), validation functions, ..

> Can they be factored out to improve maintainability?

Almost surely yes, this is the first version, I hope to see enough interest, improve the API upon feedback, and hope for (intellectual and practical) contributions from more experts in software engineering.

> validObject

Seems a good method, and as far as I tested works for S3 objects as well. I will try to implement it. In fact I already added it as issue into Github https://github.com/stemangiola/ttBulk/issues/6

At the moment I have a custom validation function

Best wishes.
Stefano

Stefano Mangiola | Postdoctoral fellow
Papenfuss Laboratory
The Walter Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
+61 (0)466452544