[Bioc-devel] Compatibility of Bioconductor with tidyverse S3 classes/methods

stefano m@ng|o|@@te|@no @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 7 01:04:31 CET 2020

Thanks a lot for your comment Martin and Michael,

Here I reply to Marti's comment. Michael I will try to implement your
solution!

I think a key point from
https://github.com/Bioconductor/Contributions/issues/1355#issuecomment-580977106
(that I was under-looking) is

*>> "So to sum up: if you submit a package to Bioconductor, there is an
expectation that your package can work seamlessly with other Bioconductor
packages, and your implementation should support that. The safest and
easiest way to do that is to use Bioconductor data structures"*

In this case my package would not be suited as I do not use pre-existing
Bioconductor data structures, but instead i see value in using a simple
tibble, for the reasons in part explained in the README
https://github.com/stemangiola/ttBulk (harvesting the power of tidyverse
and friends for bulk transcriptomic analyses).

*>> "with the minimum standard of being able to accept such objects even if
you do not rely on them internally (though you should)"*

With this I can comply in the sense that I can built converters to and from
SummarizedExperiment (for example).

* >> "If you don't want to do that, then that's a shame, but it would
suggest that Bioconductor would not be the right place to host this
package."*

Well said.

In summary, I do not rely on Bioconductor data structure, as I am proposing
another paradigm, but my back end is made of largely Bioconductor analysis
packages that I would like to interface with tidyverse. So

1) Should I build converters to Bioc. data structures, and force the use of
S3 object (needed to tiidyverse to work), or
2) Submit to CRAN

I don't have strong feeling for either, although I think Bioconductor would
be a good fit. Please community give me your honest opinions, I will take
them seriously and proceed.

Best wishes.

*Stefano *

Stefano Mangiola | Postdoctoral fellow

Papenfuss Laboratory

The Walter Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research

+61 (0)466452544