[Bioc-devel] sapply and vapply

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 12 19:01:21 CEST 2020

FWIW,

> sapply(X, length) - always numeric(1) (integer(1) or double(1) for vectors of more than 2^31 - 1 elements)

Actually, the length of length(x) may not be 1L, e.g.

> x <- Formula::Formula(~ x)
> length(x)
[1] 0 1

>From help("length", package = "base"):

"Warning: Package authors have written methods that return a result of
length other than one (Formula) and that return a vector of type
double (Matrix), even with non-integer values (earlier versions of
sets). Where a single double value is returned that can be represented
as an integer it is returned as a length-one integer vector."

I/we recently learned this the hard way
(https://github.com/HenrikBengtsson/future/issues/395).  It's rather
unfortunate that not even length() is strictly defined here, I'd say.
I think we could move away from this if lengths() would be a generic
so lengths(x) could be used above.  But that's a discussion for
R-devel.

/Henrik