[Bioc-devel] GenomicFeatures and/or TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19.knownGene issue: missing tibble

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Apr 27 23:53:39 CEST 2020

Thanks everyone for playing along!

The order of packages doesn't influence order of installation, otherwise the user would have to know the dependency graph (although I think we're starting to become intimately familiar with such graphs!)

Like Felix I'm also of the opinion that the source and binary dependency graphs become dissociated somehow, and the source packages are installed independently even though they have (indirect) dependencies.

I don’t think we should patch BiocManager; that's not where the problem is. Also, I wouldn't want to delegate such an important function to a third-party package, especially on CRAN where we do not have a 'devel' branch for things to run amuck if the implementation changes.

My guess would be the `dependencies = TRUE` Charlotte identifies creates a much more dense dependency graph (the important part is probably `Suggests`, recursively) that is more stable when only source packages are considered.

If you're interested...

The relevant code starts around here:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/b86c46d25b12faa21bcc8828f1ff1ae3cb4f03e7/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L399

This is where the binary packages are installed:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/b86c46d25b12faa21bcc8828f1ff1ae3cb4f03e7/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L492

...and the non-binary packages are identified:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/b86c46d25b12faa21bcc8828f1ff1ae3cb4f03e7/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L509

I'm not sure whether these conditionals are evaluated, but could be important...

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/b86c46d25b12faa21bcc8828f1ff1ae3cb4f03e7/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L716

and finally shelling out(umph!) to install packages from source:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/b86c46d25b12faa21bcc8828f1ff1ae3cb4f03e7/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L842

`install.packages()` is too complicated to `debug(install.packages)` and then step through; I've found it better to debug the function being called, e.g., `debug(system2)` and to build R from source with `browser()` or `print()` statements inserted -- the latter isn't so bad if building 'out of tree': patch the source then cd into bin/R-devel/src/library/utils and run make.

Martin