[Bioc-devel] GenomicFeatures and/or TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19.knownGene issue: missing tibble

Leonardo Collado Torres |co||@dotor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Apr 26 22:48:23 CEST 2020

Hi everyone,

Charlotte, thank you very much! I didn't know about that issue on
`remotes` and the fix attempts. Thank you for the info Martin!

However, I have to report that it doesn't seem like switching from
remotes::install_deps() to BiocManager::install() fixes the issue. I
updated my GitHub Actions workflow to obtain the list of dependencies
using remotes, but install them with BiocManager::install() instead of
remotes::install_deps(). You can see this at
https://github.com/leekgroup/derfinderPlot/blob/ea58939ac6bf13cae7d26951732914d96b5f7d07/.github/workflows/check-bioc.yml#L139-L149
although I include the relevant lines of code below:

## Locate the package dependencies
deps <- remotes::dev_package_deps(dependencies = TRUE)

## Install any that need to be updated using BiocManager to avoid
## the issues described at
## https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2020-April/016675.html
## https://github.com/r-lib/remotes/issues/296
remotes::install_cran("BiocManager")
BiocManager::install(deps$package[deps$diff != 0])

This still leads to TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19.knownGene failing to
install because GenomeInfoDbData is not available on both macOS and
Windows (again, this doesn't fail on the Bioconductor devel docker).
Here's for example the error on Windows
https://github.com/leekgroup/derfinderPlot/runs/620055131?check_suite_focus=true#step:12:1077.
Immediately after, GenomeInfoDbData does get installed
https://github.com/leekgroup/derfinderPlot/runs/620055131?check_suite_focus=true#step:12:1100
and after it, tibble
https://github.com/leekgroup/derfinderPlot/runs/620055131?check_suite_focus=true#step:12:1174.

Likely this issue only happens on Windows and macOS because of the
availability of some packages in source form and others in binary
form, unlike only using source versions in the Bioconductor docker
run. However, maybe I need some other code to get all the
dependencies of a given package in a different order, though I was
hoping that BiocManager::install() would find the right order for me
as it seems to try to do so already.

Charlotte linked to
https://github.com/r-lib/remotes/commit/88f302fe53864e4f27fc7b3897718fea9a8b1fa9.
So maybe there's still something else to try to fix in remotes and/or
BiocManager instead of the DESCRIPTION files of other packages like I
initially thought of in this thread and in
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2020-April/016671.html.

Best,
Leo