[Bioc-devel] R-devel for Windows: Rtools3.5 vs Rtools4.0

Gordon K Smyth @myth @end|ng |rom weh|@edu@@u
Tue Apr 21 02:42:07 CEST 2020

Hi Martin,

I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion as to the cause of the problem. The problem we are observing is that BiocManager::install does not currently work with R Devel for Windows 2020-04-18 (which the installer is calling R 4.1.0) while it still works fine with R Devel for Windows 2020-02-15 (which the installer is calling R 4.0.0). In the former case, the installer is trying to find a 4.1 repository that doesn't seem to exist.

Note that I have not renamed R-devel to R 4.1.0 myself. The r-devel-win.exe installer automatically labels the R shortcut as "R 4.1.0".

I am assuming that Bioconductor packages that need compilation have to be build using the same toolchain as used for R itself. Since I can install Bioc packages with R 4.0.0, I assume that I am getting packages built with Rtools3.5. If there is an Rtools4.0 version of Bioc-devel, where is it?

I can git clone the source code for Bioc packages and compile them successfully for R 4.1.0 using Rtools4.0, but that's more tedious that using install().

It is getting very close to the Bioc 3.11 Release, so we would like to make sure that everything works ok with the latest version of R.

Regards
Gordon

------------- R Session with R 4.1.0 for Windows  (fails) --------------

R Under development (unstable) (2020-04-18 r78255) -- "Unsuffered Consequences"
Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> install.packages("BiocManager")
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/BiocManager_1.30.10.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 99799 bytes (97 KB)
downloaded 97 KB

package ‘BiocManager’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\smyth\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpaqaFCD\downloaded_packages
> library(BiocManager)
Bioconductor version 3.11 (BiocManager 1.30.10), ?BiocManager::install for help
> install("edgeR")
Bioconductor version 3.11 (BiocManager 1.30.10), R Under development (unstable) (2020-04-18 r78255)
Installing package(s) 'BiocVersion', 'edgeR'
also installing the dependencies ‘limma’, ‘locfit’, ‘Rcpp’

Warning: unable to access index for repository https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/bioc/bin/windows/contrib/4.1:
  cannot open URL 'https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/bioc/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/PACKAGES'
Warning: unable to access index for repository https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/data/annotation/bin/windows/contrib/4.1:
  cannot open URL 'https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/data/annotation/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/PACKAGES'
Warning: unable to access index for repository https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/data/experiment/bin/windows/contrib/4.1:
  cannot open URL 'https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/data/experiment/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/PACKAGES'
Warning: unable to access index for repository https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/workflows/bin/windows/contrib/4.1:
  cannot open URL 'https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/workflows/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/PACKAGES'
Packages which are only available in source form, and may need compilation of
  C/C++/Fortran: ‘limma’ ‘edgeR’
  These will not be installed
trying URL 'https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/locfit_1.5-9.4.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 670513 bytes (654 KB)
downloaded 654 KB

trying URL 'https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/4.1/Rcpp_1.0.4.6.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 3168097 bytes (3.0 MB)
downloaded 3.0 MB

package ‘locfit’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘Rcpp’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\smyth\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpaqaFCD\downloaded_packages
installing the source package ‘BiocVersion’

trying URL 'https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/bioc/src/contrib/BiocVersion_3.11.1.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 980 bytes
downloaded 980 bytes

* installing *source* package 'BiocVersion' ...
** using staged installation
** help
*** installing help indices
  converting help for package 'BiocVersion'
    finding HTML links ... done
    BiocVersion-pkg                         html
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation path
* DONE (BiocVersion)
Making 'packages.html' ... done

The downloaded source packages are in
        ‘C:\Users\smyth\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpaqaFCD\downloaded_packages’

------------- End of R Session with R 4.0.0 for Windows  --------------

------------- R Session with R 4.0.0 for Windows  (successful) --------------

R Under development (unstable) (2020-02-15 r77808) -- "Unsuffered Consequences"
Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> install("edgeR")
Error in install("edgeR") : could not find function "install"
> library(BiocManager")

+ > library("BiocManager")
Bioconductor version 3.11 (BiocManager 1.30.10), ?BiocManager::install for help
> install("edgeR")
Bioconductor version 3.11 (BiocManager 1.30.10), R Under development (unstable) (2020-02-15 r77808)
Installing package(s) 'edgeR'
trying URL 'https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.11/bioc/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/edgeR_3.29.1.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 3181389 bytes (3.0 MB)
downloaded 3.0 MB

package ‘edgeR’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\smyth\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpy8bFkk\downloaded_packages
Old packages: 'backports', 'BiocFileCache', 'BiocNeighbors', 'BiocStyle', 'broom', 'dbplyr',
  'foreign', 'GenomeInfoDb', 'GenomeInfoDbData', 'gtools', 'isoband', 'MSnbase', 'nlme', 'purrr',
  'Rcpp', 'RcppArmadillo', 'RCurl', 'Rhdf5lib', 'Rsubread', 'scran', 'survival', 'tibble',
  'tinytex', 'withr'
Update all/some/none? [a/s/n]: n

------------- R Session with R 4.0.0 for Windows  --------------

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.

The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute acknowledges the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin
Nation as the traditional owners of the land where our campuses are located and
the continuing connection to country and community.