[Bioc-devel] Announcement: Update to Rhdf5lib

Mike Smith gr|mbough @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 15 23:15:25 CEST 2020

Dear all,

This is a heads up that I've updated the version of HDF5 distributed in
Rhdf5lib to 1.10.6.

The change was principally motivated to allow the use of the S3 virtual
file driver allowing read access to HDF5 files stored in S3 buckets.  As
such the library compilation now uses the --enable-ros3-vfd flag if the
appropriate system libraries are installed.  Pre-compiled Windows binaries
are included and have been built with both the Rtool 3.5 and 4.0 toolchains.

Ideally the change should be transparent to users and packages, and all my
tests have found no required changes.  However those tests are not
exhaustive, and I will be keeping a close eye on the build system in case
something unexpected happens.  Those who maintain packages that link with
Rhdf5lib may wish to bump their version numbers to ensure the new version
is used.

Please let me know if you see any errors that may be related to this.

Best regards,
Mike