[Bioc-devel] R environment variable which indicates "running in the bioc build system"?

Pages, Herve hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Fri Sep 13 00:13:48 CEST 2019

Hi Paul,

On 9/12/19 11:47, Paul Shannon wrote:
> My package igvR requires a web browser.  Unit tests, examples, vignette all will all fail if one is not available.
>
> Since the bioc build system, for good reason, does not provide a web browser, I’d like to condition all browser-related code on “not executing in the bioc build system”.

AFAIK the build machines have web browsers.

Anyway if for some reason you need to disable the code that relies on a
web browser, wouldn't it make more sense to condition this code on the
presence of a web browser?

Cheers,
H.

> Is there a way my test and example code can detect that?
>
> I prefer not to condition on
>
>    if(interactive())
>
> because in some settings (travis CI, my own development setup) non-interactive tests, using a possibly headless browser, do make sense.
>
> Thank you -
>
>   - Paul

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology