[Bioc-devel] Duplicated method names in purrr and GenomicRanges

bioi@i m@iii@g oii posteo@de bioi@i m@iii@g oii posteo@de
Thu Sep 12 11:07:22 CEST 2019

Dear all,

I am developing a Bioconductor package and have a problem with two
methods which have the same name. I am using the reduce() function from
the R packages GenomicRanges and purrr. All methods from other packages
are imported with @importFrom in all of my functions.

During devtools::document() I get the following Warning:

replacing previous import ‘GenomicRanges::reduce’ by ‘purrr::reduce’
when loading ‘testPackage’

Here are my NAMESPACE entries:

# Generated by roxygen2: do not edit by hand

export(mergeDataFrameList)
export(reduceDummy)
importFrom(GenomicRanges,GRanges)
importFrom(GenomicRanges,reduce)
importFrom(IRanges,IRanges)
importFrom(dplyr,"%>%")
importFrom(dplyr,left_join)
importFrom(dplyr,mutate)
importFrom(dplyr,pull)
importFrom(magrittr,"%<>%")
importFrom(purrr,reduce)
importFrom(tibble,tibble)

I am not using both reduce functions in the same function. To use the
GenomicRanges reduce function, I have to call this function like this:
GenomicRanges::reduce().

I understand the warning and why I have to call the reduce function like
this. Is there a solution for this problem? Compiling a R package with
warnings and calling functions like this is not the best way I guess.

I am using R version 3.6.1 (2019-07-05)

Thanks for help!

Best,

Tobias